Our School Vision, Values and Ethos
At Portway Junior School our shared vision is for every child to become a successful, independent, resilient, lifelong learner and a responsible member of the community, who can achieve and grow in a nurturing and creative environment prepared for our ever changing world.
The strong sense of a learning community; working together and caring about each other, is felt throughout the school and leads to a commitment by all members to recognise the importance of having a positive impact on their school, local community and beyond.
Our aims and ethos
The aims provide the overall direction in which Portway Junior School wishes to move and provides the essential context within which our school vision can develop the curriculum and the ethos of the school can be achieved.
They are built on the values and visions and summarise how the vision can be realised.
At Portway Junior School we motivate children to
- achieve their full potential, regardless of background, personal circumstances or inherent ability
- think critically, to apply themselves to tasks and to develop lively and enquiring minds
- explore and express their creative, sporting and academic interests
At Portway Junior School we provide an environment which is
- is safe for all, and within which children feel valued and secure
- has high expectations of learning and behaviour and insists upon equality of opportunity, tolerance and respect for others
- celebrates children’s achievements and supports them to be individuals
- is stimulating, challenging, happy and calm
- values co-operation and collaboration
- promotes new experiences
- supports children to have a deep sense of awe and wonder of the natural world
- supports children in recognising and managing their own risk taking
- encourages children to participate in sports activities within and outside the curriculum
- engages with, listens and responds to children’s suggestions, opinions, needs and requirements
- encourages continued professional development as governors and teaching staff in order to support and enhance the quality of learning opportunities offered to the children
- equips our pupils with the skills required for successful transfer to secondary school and to become active and involved members of society.
At Portway Junior School we help children to develop
- intellectually, physically and socially
- morally and spiritually
- as responsible citizens
- a strong sense of belonging to a school, local and wider community
At Portway Junior School we teach and encourage the children to
- have high self-esteem and respect for others
- take calculated and measured risks
- be self-regulated, self-motivated and develop a passion for learning
- speak confidently, discuss, initiate, question and explore
- be responsible, respectful, resilient and reflective
- be lifelong learners